Saturday, July 28, 2007

Interviews

I am very confused these days. I have done my graduation in Computer Engineering with 64% marks overall. Now I have to start my career, but in which field, thats a difficult question.

There are few options, I will discuss with you people, one by one.

  1. PHP Development
  2. Java and .Net Developer
  3. VLSI
  4. Embedded Systems
  5. Telecommunication
  6. Industry Automation

As you seen, number of options.

1) PHP Development

I had got a salary start in May this year with a job of PHP development, the salary was good, a mere 20,000 rs. A normal start for a fresh graduate engineer here is 12k to 15k. However, I got the job, I was happy but later-on the enviornment there turned to be cheesy, a too rushy place, 15 developers sitting in 12x12 room doing offshore development for foriegn clients. Eventually that didnt worked for me as being a confident engineer, I was not into doing this type of job and never wanted to make PHP my career.

I left that company after a month saying that I have to complete my final year project (which is over now) . The HR manager their even came to my residence to ask that if I come in the late hours, but I refused, he didnt accepted my resignation and offered me that complete your project and re-join. Just to tell you that I had made my worth their in just a period of a month.

2) Java and .NET

Most of the companies in Pakistan are doing development in Java and .NET, they have little better working environments and a career growth too. But problem here is again... thats CS and I am a Computer Engineer with specialization in VLSI.

3) VLSI

Well basic thinking was to make my feet strong in System on Chip and get over to USA to earn a little better. Again, I turned to my favorite EDAboard.com where while reading the threads of job markets in europe and america about VLSI, I got the idea that even thats not good in there. Pretty average salary, even comparable to PHP one's. My heart got break there. Because its a far far more techie work then PHP does. However, that option is still underconsideration. Forget to tell you that, in Pakistan only 2 or 3 companies are working in VLSI, who also asks 5+ years of experience.

4) Embedded Systems

Well this industry is gonna take its start as Software industry started in early 99. Its there, its pathetic, it give lower salaries but condition is improving day by day. Most important, it is directly related to my studies. Hunted 3, 4 good companies, who initially dont pay good..but later on they take you even with PHP job and obviously I am not sure but hoping that this industry do have a growth here and abroad in the future too. Companies doing work are Enmac, Five River Technologies, Vonemm, Palmchip and mentor graphics, out of which only Five River is Pakistan based and hopefully that will be my first start from mere Rs. 3k/month.

5) Telecomunication

Well well, from outside its very lucrative, I have seen folks flooding into the BS telecom by forseeing the telecom boom in the country, but in reality BS telecom has nothing to do with what telecom companies in Pakistan has to offer. In BS, they study programming, courses like microprocessor, antenna, DSP etc etc. but in reality the work is just of integration.

Let me explain brief scenario, at that may be important for the guys wanting to do job in this sector.

Basic job is done by sub-contractors, like MySon, Sub-Con, Best Links etc who take the contract from vendors to complete. The real job is here, they do integrate sites, test them and give them over to the vendor who further give them over to the operator. My two room mates who were my class fellows are doing the same job, they hardly take any rest. The car of the company picks them and daily they have to go to remote sites all over the Punjab to test and integrate Nokia equipment. Well, I have asked them, they told me that they can teach me within 10 mints that what they do and what ever they do a Rigger(Laborer) can also do if they teach him. No use of engineering.

Vendors like Nokia and Huawei, do give jobs but that just remain to test and take over the site from sub-con.

Operators like Ufone and Mobilink have engineering depts just for the purpose of RF Optimization (one of my classfellow is also there in Ufone as RF executive), this job is also of traveling to the remote areas, selecting which place is suitable for the site and upon returning, the site is then handed over to the vendor to install, after installation a few copy paste commands are required to actually hook up the site. The other engineers do what vendors do with sub-cons, they go and test the site, if found ok the site is accepted.

Now, where is engineering there? No where. Its just integration. No creative work no nothing. The only charm there is of money. Currently this the highest paying sector, you start of with 12k, you need to know nothing, that means GPA doesnt matter, you just take ur basic training and with in 2 years you reach 60k. Well thats even not the case with established software houses here. Vendor and operator companies also have office environment.

6-Industry Automation

Pakistan basically have little industry as compared to developed countries but industry automation is there, my 15 classfellows are working in this field, it is also a integartion work but a little more knowledge is required. Also a field work and you have to travel a lot. As compared to the size of industry, industry automation is also on the same run. Few companies with 20, 25 employees , doing work all over Pakistan. You can reach maximum at 60k in your life in this industry.

So guys here I am...totally confused where to go. Thinking, thinking.. thinking.. Well at last I am preparing for GRE for this and next month, will give it in September and until than I have to choose from above 5 fields and make that field my career. Truely turning point.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hammad bhai if u want to do sumthing creative in any field u have to move abroad reason is that we are citizens ov developing nation and and we cant afford new experiments and tests as we dun have that much resources even we dun have resources fer research u know it better

new experiments and creativity is culture ov developed nations who can afford the loses but we cant i suggest u to move abroad do research and what eva u want and take ur experience back and transfer it to yer nation yer juniors hopefully u understand

Sherdil Khan said...

Keep Searchin a good job in PHP or embedded stuff...i think it suits u....