Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Frawn Review

Well this is immensly excited.

Windows and Microsoft era is finally near to over and that has made me excited as hell. Guys this is new, this is reliable and this is easy. Yes its New Ubuntu 7.04 the latest edition in line.
It is infact on the level of Vista to compete it and to tell you the truth, it has knocked down vista in many features.

The prominent features are:
  • Much lighter than Vista in terms of space, both in volatile and non-volatile memory.
  • It's free.
  • It's reliable and stable.
  • Your messengers will be running by default from day one. Gone are the days when on Red Hat you have to downloand separate packages and then integrate them using ur tech skills, it includes Gaim, on which you can run all famous IMs.
  • I use WebStar's cable modem in my home and I was wondering that if Linux has the driver of it as the WebStar's on site doesnt offer driver for Linux. But when installed, my Internet was working by default, thats BINGO!!!
  • Installation is smooth and easy, Ubuntu understands that first you will like a review, when you boot from the CD, it will give you a preview without installation, you can play around the whole OS but changes will not be preserved as that's running from CD. From their you can Install and Installation is quite easy, you just need to know that on which drive you want to install and that Linux needs ext3 format for its file structure and also a swap partition (like virtual RAM on your windows).
  • You can use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office.
  • It has its own client for getting rid of Microsoft Outlook.
  • Only be downloading just fiew codecs, I was able to play my mp3s and videos, which was quite a hectic job in previous flavors of Linux.
  • It has 64-bit version for AMD and Core 2 Duo and higher machines, as I am on a 64 bit machine, it was hard to find a 64-bit compatible flavor of Linux in the local market, but downloading from ubuntu's site of 64-bit version, just made my life easier.
  • You can install Wine on it to run most of the softwares which are made to run on Windows.

And on the last ofcourse Ubuntu still has some drawbacks. My Internet connection some times seems to hault and also I am still unable to run my home networking over it. However, this will be soon over in the next version and I believe that ease will also be enabled. Long Live Ubuntu, through you, I have resolved my guilt of using a pirated OS. Thanx! :)

You can download Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/

No comments: